What is Quadriderm Cream?
Quadriderm Cream is a Multipurpose skin ointment, usually prescribed for the topical treatment of skin disorders. This cream comes in a squeezable metal tube and it is to be administered topically only.
This medicine is manufactured and marketed by Fulford (India) Limited (A subsidiary of Merck & Co.). The cream can be used in the treatment various bacterial and fungal infection and for other inflammatory skin conditions as well.
The cream is sold in the packaging of 10 gm Topical cream per tube. It is available in India at the MRP f Rupees 97/- for each tube.
What are The Generic Medicines in Quadriderm Cream?
Quadriderm cream is able to function as a multipurpose cream because of all the generic medicines present in it. The medicine has various properties. It can be used as an antibiotic, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, anti-pruritic medicine. A gram of this cream contains following active ingredients:
- Tolnaftate – 10 mg (Topical)
- Clioquinol – 10 mg
- Gentamicin – 1 mg (Topical)
- Chlorocresol – 1 mg (Topical)
- Betamethasone – 0.61 mg
How to Use Quadriderm Cream
The cream is supposed to be applied topically on the skin like an ointment. However, the quantity of the cream and frequency of application will depend on the condition of the skin. Consult a Dermatologist for the diagnosis of your skin and use the cream as advised by him.
Follow the full course as advised by your doctor, do not overuse the cream. Generally, it is prescribed to apply a thin layer of the cream 2 to 3 times a day on the affected area of the skin.
Working Mechanism of Quadriderm Cream
Quadriderm cream is a combination of various medicines. Each of its components poses a different medicinal property. To understand the working mechanism of this multipurpose cream, let’s take a look at the properties of its components:
- Tolnaftate: Tolnaftate is an anti-bacterial and anti-fungal agent. It works by damaging the Cell walls of Harmful microbes and thus inhibiting their growth.
- Clioquinol: It is an Antifungal agent, coming from a family of medicines known as hydroxyquinoline. Clioquinol works by affecting the DNA replication of fungus and prevents their growth. Also, in case of bacterial infections, Clioquinol is used in combination with Antibacterial medicines to prevent the infection. Clioquinol is also used in combination with steroidal medicines to treat inflammation of the skin.
- Gentamicin: Gentamicin is an antibiotic and works effectively against bacteria. It prevents bacteria from synthesizing essential proteins for bacterial growth.
- Chlorocresol: Chlorocresol is a preservative added to the cream.
- Betamethasone: It is a corticosteroid medicine. It prevents the inflammation and irritation of the skin. It works by controlling the production of antigens that cause redness and bumps on the skin. Betamethasone also has skin discolorating properties. It can be useful in preventing the formation of scars due to infections.
When to Use Quadriderm Cream
Quadriderm cream is a topical ointment. It can be prescribed for the treatment of various skin conditions caused by bacterial and fungal infections. Some of such skin issues are listed below:
- Bacterial Infection on the skin
- Fungal infections, Toenail fungus
- Dryness of skin and Psoriasis
- Allergic response, skin bumps
- Infections caused by eating raw or uncooked meat
- Infection of the external ear (common in children)
- Skin conditions caused by Ulcerative Colitis
- Lupus and Eczema
- Atopic Dermatitis and Pus Filled Swelling
- Skin Infection In Newborn Babies
- Infection on the Groin/Pubic area
Possible Side Effects of Quadriderm Cream
This medicine is generally safe to use for various skin conditions. However, incorrect dosage and long-term use can cause some of the side-effects listed below:
- Rashes and Swelling on the skin
- Pimples, Acne and Other inflammatory conditions
- Discoloration of the skin
- Thinning of Skin
- Redness and irritations on the skin
- Muscle disorder and Altered bone growth
- Disturbed Electrolyte balance
- Fat deposition or redistribution under the skin
- Changed Body growth pattern in infants
- Contact dermatitis
- Dryness of the skin, rough skin
- Tingling sensations
- Increased level of Blood sugar
- Hormonal imbalance
Precautions While Using Quadriderm Cream
One should use the following precautionary steps while using the Quadriderm Cream:
- Use the cream topically and externally only. Don’t apply this cream on open wounds.
- Avoid swallowing or inhaling the cream.
- Use with precaution while applying the cream on the thin skin near eyes and mouth.
- Avoid the contact with Eyes, also wash your hands after using this cream.
- It contains steroidal components, so avoid using the cream if the patient is pregnant. Breastfeeding women should avoid the cream as well.
- Do a patch test before using it. If you notice any allergic reactions, don’t use this cream.
- Applied cream does not need any covering, so avoid using any bandage.
- Monitor your blood sugar and hormone levels regularly.
- Do not use the cream for acute or systemic fungal infections.
- Withdraw the use of the cream gradually and slowly.
- Use with precaution while administering the cream on Children and Elderly patients.
Where to Buy Quadriderm Cream
This cream is not sold as an over the counter product. In order to buy this cream, you will need a prescription from a qualified Doctor.
Quadriderm cream is readily available at all major drugstores and pharmacies.
Patient Queries on Quadriderm Cream
I have Acne. Will this cream be useful for the treatment?
No, This cream is not suitable for the treatment of Acne or acne scars. Consult a dermatologist for the correct medicinal option for the acne treatment.
How to Store this Cream?
Keep it in a cool and dry place. Do not refrigerate it. Keep it away from the Direct sunlight. Also, keep the cream away from the reach of children and pets.
Is Quadriderm suitable to use during Pregnancy?
No. Quadriderm contains steroidal medicines, which are not safe for a growing fetus or a newborn child. Hence, women who are nursing/breastfeeding a baby should avoid using this cream.
For how long Should I use this?
The duration of the treatment will depend on the severity of the condition it is administered for. Consult a dermatologist for the Diagnosis of your problem. Follow the doctors advise and complete the course prescribed by him. Do not overuse the cream.
Can I use this cream to remove old Scars?
No. Though this cream contains few chemicals which can lighten the skin and may make the scar look less prominent. But these effects will take effect very slowly and late. However, There are many other scar removing creams available. Please, Consult a doctor to choose the best treatment for you.
Can I use this cream for Toenail fungus?
Yes, this cream is very effective in the treatment of toenail fungus. But First, Ask a doctor for the correct dosage and the frequency of this cream.
Can I use this cream for Mouth Ulcers?
No, this cream is not for internal use. It is not effective against mouth ulcers.
Are Qudriderm cream is same as Quadriderm RF and Quadriderm NF?
No, All this three cream are not the same. They all have different ingredients.