What is Progyluton?
Progyluton is a low-dose oral combination hormonal medication. It is a hormone combination pack containing a low dose of estrogen and progesterone. It is used in the treatment of abnormal uterine bleeding, regulate menstrual cycles, reduce menopausal side effects, primary ovarian failure, and other conditions. Sometimes it is also used in reducing side effects of Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Progyluton may also be used for the conditions not listed here. It is manufactured and marketed by Bayer Schering Pharmaceuticals Ltd. and is available in a blister pack of 21 tablets.
- Generic Medicine in The Tablet
- Dosage of This Tablet
- Working Mechanism of This Medicine
- Why is This Tablet Prescribed?
- Possible Side Effects of This Medicine
- Precautions While Using The Tablet
- Using The Tablet During Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
- Dosage for Children and Infants
- Where to Buy This Tablet
- Patients Queries About This Tablet?
Generic Medicine in The Tablet
The generic medicines present in Progyluton are Estradiol valerate and norgestrel.
Each Progyluton tablet contains following ingredients:
- White Tablets contains Estradiol valerate 2 mg/per tablet
- Red Tablets contains Estradiol valerate 2 mg and Norgestrel 0.5 mg/per tablet
There are 11 white tablets of estradiol valerate and 10 red tablets of estradiol valerate and norgestrel, available in a pack of 21 tablets.
Dosage of This Tablet
The dosage of Progyluton tablet is 1 tablet daily from the first day of menstrual cycle. There are 11 white tablets of estradiol valerate and 10 red tablets of estradiol valerate and norgestrel. One tablet should be taken daily at the same time for 21 days, followed by 7 days of taking no tablet. Do not skip/delay intake of this medicine by more than 12 hours. Tablets must be taken in same order as directed by the doctor. Follow the instructions written on the blister pack.
Working Mechanism of This Medicine
Progyluton is a hormone combination pack containing a low dose of estrogen and progesterone. Estradiol valerate (estrogen) is referred as a female sex hormone. It helps in regulating the menstrual cycle and treating postmenopausal problems. Progestogens along with estrogen are used in menopausal hormone therapy. It is also used for the treatment of a variety of other conditions such as abnormal uterine bleeding and amenorrhea (absence of periods). Combination of these 2 hormones makes Progyluton tablets a very safe hormone replacement medicine.
Why is This Tablet Prescribed?
Progyluton tablet is administered in the treatment of the following diseases:
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Prevent pregnancy
- Primary ovarian failure
- Reduce menopausal side effects
- Regulate menstrual cycles
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
- Decrease blood loss and pain from certain menstrual condition
- Vulvar and vaginal atrophy associated with menopause
- Reduce side effects of Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
Contraindications of Progyluton
Do not use Progyluton tablet if you have any of the following conditions:
- History of breast cancer
- Pregnancy, breastfeeding
- History of endometrial cancer
- Allergic reaction
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Pulmonary embolism
- History of heart disease
- History of liver disease
- Endometrial hyperplasia
- Vaginal bleeding
Possible Side Effects of This Medicine
- Breast pain, enlargement or tenderness
- Breakthrough bleeding and spotting
- Vaginal infection
- Abdominal cramps
- Flatulence, indigestion
- Itching, Rash
- Nausea, vomiting
- Headaches, dizziness
- Weight change
- Mood swing
- Delayed menstruation
- Depression, anxiety
- Unusual tiredness
- High blood pressure
- Acne and pimples
- Water retention
- Excessive vaginal bleeding
- Uterus infection
- Gastro-intestinal disturbance
- Hepatic adenoma
This is not a comprehensive list of all the possible side effects. In some cases, symptoms of this medicine are temporary while in other cases they cause serious implications. If any of these side effects persist longer, seek emergency medical help or consult a doctor immediately.
Precautions While Using The Tablet
You should not take this medicine in following situations
- Before using Progyluton tablet, inform your doctor about your medical history, the current list of medications and current health conditions.
- Some health conditions may make you more susceptible to the side-effects of the drug.
- Do not consume alcohol or any tobacco product while taking this medicine
- Avoid using this medicine if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to any of the ingredients.
- Do not take this medicine if you are suffering from asthma, diabetes, migraine, history of breast cancer, breast lump, history of clots, high level of triglycerides, undiagnosed vaginal bleeding, heart disease, gallstones, liver dysfunction, etc
- Patients suffering from depression or high blood pressure should also avoid using this medicine.
- Take this medicine only if prescribed by a qualified doctor
- Never start, stop, or change the dose of this medicine without consulting your doctor.
- Do not use the medicine, if the expiry date printed on the pack has passed.
- Do not flush the medicine down the toilet or pour them into drainage unless instructed to do so.
- Keep the medicine in cool and dry place; avoid heat and direct sunlight.
- Do not chew, crush or break it. Swallow it as a whole.
- Do not store medicine in the bathroom or near a sink.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from any disease
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
Using The Tablet During Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
This medicine is classified in the pregnancy category ‘X’ by FDA. Having traces of contraceptive properties, this medicine is Contraindicated in pregnancy. Studies have proven that the medicine can cause serious adverse effects on both the mother and the fetus.
This tablet can only be given to a pregnant woman when the benefits or the medicine outweigh possible risks. Consult your doctor before using this medicine during pregnancy/planning pregnancy.
Progyluton tablet is not safe to take during breastfeeding, as there is no proper study which shows whether it can pass into breast milk or may harm a nursing baby. Its effects on infants health are unknown. Consult your doctor before using this medicine if you are breastfeeding.
Dosage for Children and Infants
Firstly, Progyluton tablet is not suitable for children and infants. It may cause serious side effects to them.
Keep this medicine away from the reach of children. Always consult your doctor before giving any medicine to a child, as its side effect may worsen the condition of the child.
Where to Buy This Tablet?
Though Progyluton is readily available in all major pharmaceuticals and drugstores, it’s a prescription-only medicine. In order to buy the tablets, you will need a prescription from a qualified Doctor.
Patients Queries About This Tablet
Can I use Progyluton tablet as a contraceptive?
The level of hormones present in this medicine is very low. It won’t be able to avoid an unplanned pregnancy. So, avoid using this medicine as a contraceptive.