What is Melacare Cream?
Melacare cream is a skin lightening ointment, prescribed commonly for the treatment of Hyperpigmented (Darkened) skin. The cream comes in the squeezable plastic tube containing 20 gram of cream per tube.
Melacare is manufactured and sold by Ajanta Pharma Ltd. The cream is for topical application only. It can be used for the treatment of various scars, spots, tanning or darkening of the skin.
What are the Generic medicines in Melacare Cream?
Main ingredients of Melacare are:
- Mometasone Furoate Topical : 0.1% w/w
- Hydroquinone Topical: 2% w/w
- Tretinoin: 0.025% w/w
How to use Melacare Cream?
Use this cream topically only. Apply a thin layer of the cream on the problem area of the. Watch the video below to learn the correct way of using this cream:
Working Mechanism of Melacare Cream?
To understand the working mechanism of Melacare, let’s look at the medicinal properties of each individual generic medicine present in it.
Mometasone furoate helps in reducing inflammation and allergies of the skin, by inhibiting the formation of substances which cause them. It is a glucocorticosteroid (a type of corticosteroid). It can pass through the skin easily and gets mixed with the blood, circulates easily in the blood. This results in the transcription and synthesis of protein. It also helps in releasing hydrolase acids of leukocytes and this results in decreased inflammation.
Hydroquinone is a bleaching agent, that helps in lightening the skin tone. It has a reversible depigmentation effect on the skin. Our skin has a special pigment called Melanin. When the concentration of melanin increases, the skin appears dark. There are several skin conditions and factor that can trigger the overproduction of Melanin in any particular part of the skin. If applied topically, hydroquinone helps in reducing the melanin levels gradually, making the skin color light.
Tretinoin is a form of Vitamin A Retinoid. Vitamin A helps the skin to repair damages and renew skin cells. IF applied topically, it’s primary function is to repair skin damage and retain moisture in the skin. Tretinoin is frequently used in the treatment of Eczema and Acne. It makes skin soft and prevents scarring of the skin.
What is Melacare Cream used for?
Melacare is used in the treatment of various hyperpigmented conditions of the skin such as:
- Old eczema scars
- Scars and Spots caused by Acne
- Liver Spots
- Age Spots
- Thin lines of stretch marks
- Signs of premature aging (Crows feet and aging lines)
- Scars caused by mild burns, irritation, and suntan
- Other unwanted melanin hyperpigmentation
Melacare can also be used for other skin conditions which are not listed here. It is widely used as a cosmetic solution for the skin problem. There are not many studies that confirm the effectiveness of the this against the above-listed conditions. However, ingredients of the cream are medically proven to have skin-lightening and skin repairing properties. Always consult a Dermatologist before using any ointment on the skin.
Possible Side Effects of Melacare Cream
Each component of this cream is a powerful chemical and if not used in the correct dosage or frequency, each can cause a variety of side effects. Let’s take a look at the side effects caused by the ingredients:
Mometasone furoate: It is a Steroidal medicine, always use it very carefully. Some of the possible side effects can be:
- Irritation and Itching in the applied area of skin
- Dryness and flaky skin
- Stinging Or burning sensation
- Can trigger an Acne breakout
- Uneven skin tone or discoloration of skin
- Thinning of the skin
- Hypersensitivity towards sunlight and pollution
Hydroquinone: It can cause an allergic reaction on the skin. It is a bleaching agent and can cause following adverse effects:
- Red and Sore skin due to Allergic reactions
- Skin irritation and itching
- Burning sensations, tingling, and Inflammation
- Ochronosis And Erythema
- Blisters and Cracked skin
- Darkened skin (blue or black colored skin)
- Rashes and swelling – especially in thin skin areas such as face and neck
Tretinoin: Side effects caused by tretinoin are generally not serious conditions. You may feel certain adverse effects as you start using it, but the effects are temporary. They will disappear after 2-3 days of use. Some of the side effects you might notice are:
- Increased pimples and Acne in first few days of use (Temporary effect – Will dampen down with continuous use)
- Dry and itchy skin
- Mild swelling and irritations
- Blisters and bumps on the skin
- Redness with mild inflammation
- Darkened skin
If you see any of the serious side effects while using the cream, stop the usage immediately. Always do a patch taste before using any skin ointment. It’s never a good idea to self-medicate. Take a doctors advice on the dosage and frequency of the medicine before using it.
Precautions While using Melacare Cream
While the ingredients of the Melacare cream are all highly potent chemicals, their concentration is very low to cause any serious damage. However, one should follow the below precautions while using it:
- Do not use the cream for longer durations. Use it as advised by your doctor.
- Avoid using it while going out, the cream is sticky and can attract pollutants.
- Do not use the cream if you feel an allergic reaction to any ingredients.
- Consult a Dermatologist to know if the cream is suitable for your therapeutic needs.
- Use this cream for external and topical application only. Do not apply to any open wounds or opening of acne nodules.
- First, Discuss with the doctor about other ointments or cosmetics you are using. It may interact with Melacare and cause adverse effects.
- Avoid rubbing the skin while using the cream.
- Do not use harsh soap or other chemically treated cosmetics while using this ointment.
- Avoid using herbal treatments such as lemon juice, tomato or homemade masks during the treatment with this cream.
- Protect your skin from direct sunlight while using Hydroquinone treatment. Hydroquinone can make the skin hypersensitive to UV rays. Use a sunscreen 30 minutes before out in the sunlight. Use a scarf or cap to protect your facial skin.
- Avoid direct contact with the eyes.
- Store the cream in cool dry place, away from the direct sunlight. Store it away from the reach f children.
Melacare Cream use During Pregnancy
Since the cream is for topical use only, it is generally considered safe to use during pregnancy. However, it contains steroidal medicines. Such medicines can cause serious harms to the mother and fetus. The cream should only be used if the possible benefits outweigh the adverse effects.
Always follow your doctor’s advice before using any medicines while you are pregnant.
Similarly, you should avoid this cream if you are nursing/breastfeeding a baby. Also, The cream is not suitable to be administered to infants and younger children.
Where to Buy Melacre Cream?
The cream is available at all major drugstores and pharmacies. It is sold as an Over the counter (OTC) product, hence you will not require a doctors prescription to purchase the cream.
However, do not use any medicine, unless advised by a doctor.
Patients Queries About Melacare Cream
For how long should I use this cream?
Do not Use the cream for longer durations in one course. Use it for maximum 2 months. Consult a qualified Dermatologist for the correct dosage and frequency of the medicine.
Can the Cream cause Cancer?
No. The cream or the ingredients of the cream are not proven to be linked with any cancerous conditions.
Can This be used for treating Infections?
No. This cream is not an antibiotic or antifungal ointment. It will not be effective in treating skin infections.