Overview of Jaundice
Jaundice is a yellow discoloration of skin and whites of the eye. It is caused by increasing amount of bilirubin in the blood. Bilirubin is a waste material found in blood. Jaundice is seen in case of level of bilirubin increases in the blood. It is not a disease; it is a sign of an underlying disease process. The condition can be caused by a variety of conditions, some of which are even life-threatening. Few underlying causes of jaundice are Hepatitis, gallstones, cirrhosis, alcohol abuse, liver infection, certain medications, hemolytic anemia and others.
Few preventive tips are very helpful in treating jaundice at home, it includes – drink filtered/boiled water, get proper rest, void caffeine, vaccines for hepatitis, avoid alcohol use, maintain good hygiene, avoid certain medications that can damage the liver, avoid smoking, etc. Certain foods are very useful in treatment such as papaya, ginger, turmeric, buttermilk, aloe vera, banana, tomato, lemon, radish, etc. In most of the cases, the condition can be treated at home, if it doesn’t work than few treatment options are available to treat the underlying cause of jaundice.
Symptoms of Jaundice
- Loss of appetite
- Pale colored stools
- Fever, Chills
- Dark colored urine
- Abdominal pain
- Weight loss
- Rectal bleeding
- Skin itching
- Swelling of legs and abdomen
Causes of Jaundice
Few underlying causes of jaundice include:
Prevention of Jaundice
- Drink filtered/boiled water
- Get proper rest
- Avoid consuming spicy/fried foods
- Avoid non-vegetarian foods
- Take foods that are rich in calcium, iron, magnesium, etc.
- Vaccines for hepatitis
- Avoid caffeine
- Avoid heavy alcohol use
- Prevent malaria
- Avoid foods that are rich in carbohydrates
- Take medications before traveling to high-risk regions
- Avoid certain medications that can damage the liver
- Maintain good hygiene
- Avoid unprotected sex
- Avoid smoking
Home Remedies for Jaundice
Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, which facilitates recovery from jaundice and also helps to reduce damage to the liver. It also helps to eliminate harmful toxins from the body.
- Boil 4-5 tomatoes in 2 cups of water for few minutes to soften them. Remove the skin and blend them. Extract its juice by pressing them on the sieve. Add a pinch of salt and pepper in it. Drink it daily in the morning, on an empty stomach. Do this daily for few days to see the desired results.
Turmeric is known for its medicinal and healing properties. It is very effective in the treatment of jaundice and other liver conditions. A compound named curcumin is present in turmeric which is helpful in the liver detoxification process. It also prevents alcohol and other harmful toxins from the body that can cause irreversible damage to the liver.
- Add 1/4th tsp of turmeric powder to a glass of warm milk. Mix it well and drink it twice or thrice daily for few days to recover from the ill effects of jaundice.
- Another option is to add 1 tsp of turmeric powder, 1 tsp of honey, fresh juice of 1 lemon and pinch of cayenne pepper to a glass of warm water. Drink it once daily for few days.
Radishes are a very effective remedy for curing jaundice. Radish juice is very helpful in bringing back the lost appetite and also detoxifies the blood. It also eliminates harmful wastes and toxins from the body including bilirubin. Radish and its leaves both are used in the treatment of jaundice.
- Eat fresh radish daily in the morning for 2 weeks. It can also be used in soup and salads.
- Another option is to extract the juice from few fresh radish leaves. Drink 1 glass of this juice twice daily for few days for fast recovery. You can also add 1 tsp of crushed basil leaves in it.
Buttermilk is a rich source of iron and calcium. It is very helpful in fighting jaundice. It is a very effective remedy to cure and treat jaundice. Buttermilk is free of any fats and that’s why easy to digest, as digestion is slow during jaundice. You can also add a pinch of cumin powder and turmeric powder. Drink it twice or thrice daily for few days. It will provide easy digestion and fast recovery from jaundice.
Lemons are very effective in the treatment of jaundice because of its healing properties. It has anti-inflammatory properties and it one of the most effective remedies for jaundice as it unblocks the bile duct. Undiluted lemon juice acts as a natural diuretic. Lemon juice has a high content of pectin which also helps to stimulate the production of bile.
- Mix the juice of a half lemon to a glass of water. Drink it twice or thrice daily for few days. It will help to protect the liver cells from damage.
- You can also add the juice of one lemon and pinch of salt to a glass of water. Drink it thrice daily for few days.
- Another option is to add few lemon leaves to a cup of boiling water. Let it simmer for 5 minutes, strain it and drink it daily for few days.
Sugarcane is one of the effective remedies for the treatment of jaundice. It has the property of proper liver functioning and proper digestion. Natural sugar found in sugarcane juice ensures fast recovery and also keeps your energy level high. It also helps to keep bilirubin under control. Being completely alkaline in nature, sugarcane helps to maintain low acid levels in the body and also keeps the body hydrated.
- Add juice of a half lemon to a glass of sugarcane juice. Mix it well and drink it twice or thrice daily for few days.
- Another option is to add paste of few basil leaves to a glass of sugarcane juice. Drink it twice daily for few days.
Treatment of jaundice depends on its underlying causes. Medicinal Treatment is usually unnecessary. The best option is to treat its causes rather than treating its symptoms. In some cases of jaundice, even hospitalization is required. Depending on the underlying causes, few treatments options are:
- Antiviral or steroid medications for Hepatitis induced jaundice.
- Iron supplements/iron rich foods in case of anemia induced jaundice.
- Alcohol cessation in case of alcoholic hepatitis, cirrhosis, etc.
- If certain medications are the cause of jaundice than it should be stopped/changed.
- Depending on the cause intravenous fluids, blood transfusion, medications etc. are required.
- Surgical treatment in few cases.
- Get plenty of rest.