Understanding The Belly Fat
It is normal, everyone has some belly fat. Even people with flat abs have some belly fat. Some of the fat in our body is under the skin while another fat is deeper inside around lungs, heart and other organs. That deep fat is also known as visceral fat and can be harmful. Excess fat is an indicator of few diseases such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, certain cancers, dementia, and others.
There are so many different causes of belly fat – unhealthy lifestyle, obesity, wrong workout, genetics, not enough sleep, age, poor diet, etc. But with the help of few exercises and proper diet, belly fat can be reduced. Few lifestyle changes are needed such as exercise regularly, maintain a healthy weight, reduce alcohol intake, reduce stress level, healthy eating, etc. Even with the help of few lifestyle changes you are not reducing belly fat, consult your doctor.
- Sedentary lifestyle
- High-stress level
- Postmenopausal women
- Heavy alcohol consumption
- Poor diet
- Sugary food and beverages
- Trans fats
- Low protein diet
- Low fiber diet
- Not enough sleep
- Change your lifestyle
- Exercise regularly
- Drink alcohol in moderation
- Sip on green tea
- Reduce stress level
- Include plenty of fiber-rich foods (legumes, avocados, flaxseeds, etc.)
- Eat high protein diet (eggs, dairy, nuts, meat, etc.)
- Eat more healthy fats (almonds, peanut butter, olive oil, etc.)
- Eliminate refined carbs from your diet
- Include probiotic foods in your diet
- Eat vitamin D rich foods (salmon, tuna, etc.)
- Avoid sugar-sweetened beverages
- Get plenty of sleep
- Always track your food intake
Cucumber helps you to lose belly fat. It is packed with vitamins and minerals. It has low calories, zero fat and filled with 95% water content. Cucumber detoxifies the body, eases constipation, reduces bloating and gas. It also reduces blood glucose level and lowers cholesterol. Cucumbers are rich in fiber with very few calories and are helpful in reducing belly fat once and for all.
2. Green Tea
Green tea contains powerful antioxidants (catechins) which help to remove toxins from the body and helps to reduce belly fat. Catechins speed up the metabolism and help the liver in burning fat. It is naturally free of calories and very beneficial for weight loss. For best results drink about 2-3 cups of green tea every day.
3. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is high in Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs), which is easily digestible, boost metabolism and is very helpful weight loss and reducing belly fat. It increases fat oxidation, which increases the amount of energy used by the body and causes less fat to be stored in the body. It also reduces appetite and makes us eat less or few in calories. Consume 1-2 tsp of coconut oil twice or thrice daily. It can also be used for cooking or it can also be mixed with beverages and foods.
Watermelon is rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and is fat-free food. It is low in calorie and helps in weight loss and reduces belly fat. Watermelon is a fluid laden and low energy dense food. It provides few calories in a large volume of food, which helps to feel you satisfied and you eat less. That’s why it’s perfect for reducing belly fat. You can have watermelon in many ways such as garnish your salad with watermelon cubes or drink watermelon juice or grill watermelon pieces with some olive oil, etc.
Tomatoes are rich in Vitamins and contain very few calorie. A compound 9-oxo-ODA (octadecadienoic acid) helps to lower lipids in the blood which result in a reduction of belly fat. Lycopene a powerful antioxidant present in tomatoes has so many health benefits such as fights cancer, reduces wrinkles and reduces cholesterol levels. You can have tomatoes in raw as well as cooked form. Include it in your daily diet to enjoy a healthy body.
- Walking: Walking is one of the best cardio exercises to reduce belly fat. It is very effective and great exercise for weight loss and reduces belly fat. It also increases metabolism. Walking is a good workout for beginners and decreases any chances of injury. A healthy diet should also be maintained with walking. 30-40 minutes of walking, 4-5 times a week will help to decrease your weight quickly.
- Running: It is one of the effective exercises that increases your heart rate, loses calories and reduces belly fat. Try running at different paces because intervals between exercises prove to reduce belly fat more easily as compared to running at same pace.
- Jogging: If you don’t like walking or running than you can opt for jogging. Jogging is very effective cardio exercise useful for reducing fat and staying fit. Make 20 minutes of jogging part of your exercise routine along with healthy diet. For better results, it should be done 4-5 times a week.
- Crunches: It is the best exercise to reduce belly fat. Nothing reduces belly fat better than crunches. It is the time to include crunches to your daily exercise routine because it occupies top positions among fat burning exercises. In the beginning, you should start with just 10 crunches and then you can increase to 2 or 3 sets daily.
- Cycling: It is very effective to form of cardio exercise that requires a lot of energy and improves your strength. While cycling makes sure that your heart rate increases which will help to burn more calories. Try to maintain a healthy diet while you exercise to see the benefits.
Few other exercises such as swimming, plank, stomach vacuum, side crunch, reverse crunch, etc are few other exercises for weight loss and to reduce belly fat.
- Include fat burning food in your diet such as garlic, ginger, cabbage, tomato, cayenne pepper, etc.
- Mix 1 tsp of honey and lemon juice to a glass of warm water. Drink it daily in the morning. It is one of the best options for weight loss.
- Include healthy fats such as coconut, nuts, and olives in your diet.
- Few spices like mustard and cinnamon are fat reducing foods.
- Instead of working out for hours, interval or short burst exercises are more effective in reducing stubborn fat.
- Combining 2 exercises also works effectively to reduce fat.
- Stay well hydrated all day. Drink 8-10 glasses of water daily.
- Include more fruits and vegetables in your diet.
Belly fat is usually the first sign of gaining weight. It usually happens when you are not doing enough physical exercises to digest the calories from your food. This lack of physical activity also prevents the fat from distributing evenly in all body parts, hence the fat accumulates in and around your stomach. This makes your belly look swollen and round in shape.
Sometimes, swollen belly can also be a result of bloating and digestive problems. However, the good news is that you can get rid of belly fat easily at your own home. In most cases, simple lifestyle and diet changes can solve the problem. Furthermore, doing exercises and weight training also help in melting down the accumulated fat.
How long will it take to Lose Belly Fat?
Weight loss is achieved gradually. Depletion of fat will depend on a lot of factors such as your diet habits, lifestyle, and physical activity. The best approach to lose belly fat is to follow the advice of your dietitian and physical trainer. Generally, it takes anywhere from 1 month to 3 months to get any significant loss of belly fat.