What is Enterogermina?
Enterogermina is a probiotic medicine, prescribed commonly for stomach problems in infants.
This medicine is manufactured and sold by Sanofi Pharmaceuticals as “Enterogermina”. This probiotic medicine contains a dose of healthy microbes called Bacillus clausii. These microbes help in improving digestion and resolving stomach problems.
The medicines come in the forms of Oral Suspensions and Capsules.
What is the Generic Medicine in Enterogermina?
The generic medicine in Enterogermina is a bacteria called Bacillus Clausii. Each 5 ml Ampule Enterogermina contains 2 Thousand Million (2 Billion) Spores of Bacillus bacteria. Similarly, each capsule of Enterogermina contains the same amount of bacterial spores in powdered form.
Dosage of Enterogermina
Dosage will depend on the physical health and the age of the patients. Generally, the recommended dosage is listed below:
Breastfeeding Infants: 1 or 2 Ampules or Capsule per day (Morning and Evening)
Children (Above 2 years of Age): 2 Ampules or Capsules per day
Adults: Up to 3 Ampules or Capsules a day
You can directly consume the liquid from the Ampules. Also, if you want, you can dilute the liquid with water or fruit juice of your choice and consume it.
If you are taking Enterogermina Capsules, swallow the whole capsule with water or fruit juices.
If you are prescribed an antibiotic medicine, take Enterogermina at least an hour later of your antibiotics dose.
Now that we know Enterogermina is a type of probiotic you would be curious to know more about Probiotics.
What is a Probiotic?
Our digestive system has a variety of microbes that support absorption of nutrients from the foods we eat. These microbes help in maintaining the pH and flora of the digestive tract and enable us in staying healthy. These bacteria also help in fighting harmful and pathogenic microbes.
Sometimes, due to allergies or reactions to antibiotics, the number of healthy microbes gets decreased. This makes us more susceptible to many diseases.
Then to recover the healthy levels of Microbes back, you need to get some probiotics. Probiotic is a substance that contains many useful bacteria, such as Lactobacillus, that promote the development of helpful bacteria in our stomach. They also produce substances to stop harmful bacterial growth.
Benefits of Probiotics
- Probiotics help prevent allergic disorders, which are becoming very common among children nowadays.
- It helps in treating diarrhea due to various bacteria by promoting the growth of auxiliary intestinal flora.
- They are both helpful in the treatment of antibiotic-related diarrhea, and gastroenteritis.
- Research indicates the beneficial role of probiotics in controlling hypertension. Today, high cholesterol levels in people are becoming a major health hazard. Probiotics address this issue very well and also help reduce high cholesterol levels.
- They are also helpful in controlling certain diseases of female genital tract such as bacterial vaginosis, which has many disadvantages, such as dirty vaginal discharge, vaginal itching, etc. are many unpleasant symptoms.
- They also help in controlling very common and the situation of troubles like depression, anxiety, OCD or obsessive-compulsive disorder.
- Many researchers are studying some of the long-term or chronic diseases or irritable bowel disease, cranial disease such as inflammatory bowel disease, ulcerative colitis. You can get rid of these conditions by using probiotics like Enterogamina.
- Probiotics also help in the treatment of UTI or urinary tract infections such as our urinary tract disorders.
Use of Enterogermina:
- It helps in the treatment of diarrhea, which is intensely in the beginning or from which you have been suffering from the last few days.
- Apart from this, Enterogermina also helps in the treatment of chronic diarrhea, so that you may suffer from months or years together.
- Excessive use of antibiotics and other medicines harm the intestinal flora. It helps to restore the balance of your intestinal flora.
- In addition, Enterogermina is also helpful in treating certain disorders of the respiratory system such as colds and flu.
It is an effective medicine against all the above conditions. However, some people can’t handle the fact of swallowing bacteria for good health. To some, it seems a little cringy to eat living organisms.
Possible Side Effects of Enterogermina
There is no major side effect of Enterogermina, Everyone can use this medicine without any risk of adverse effects.
Anyone – Infants, Pregnant women, breastfeeding mothers – all can take Enterogermina probiotics. This medicine doesn’t interact with other drugs and also it doesn’t have any adverse effect on overdose as well.
Precautions While Using Enterogermina
- Always shake well the ampules before using.
- This medicine is not for longterm use. Do not consume it for more than 4 days.
- The medicine is for oral consumption only. Do not use the medicine in any other way.
- Consume the liquid from the Ampules immediately after opening it. Do not keep open ampules for later use.
- Do not consume probiotics and antibiotics at the same time. Keep a gape of at least an hour between their dosage.
- Always complete the course of medicine as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take higher dosage unless advised.
- Store the medicine in cool dry place, away from direct sunlight and excessive heat.
- If the symptoms for which probiotic is prescribed doesn’t seem to be reduced, consult your doctor. Your doctor may suggest/prescribe other medicines.
- Do not use the medicine if the packaging is damaged or tampered with.
- If you see tine particles in the liquid, do not throw the medicine. Those particles are clumps or Bacillus bacteria and the medicine is safe to use.
- If there is any foul smell or odor coming from the medicine, discard it immediately.
- Always check the expiry dates on the package before using the medicine.
Where to Buy Enterogermina?
You can purchase Enterogermina at all major drugstores and pharmacies. You will not need a Doctor prescription to buy this medicine. The medicine is sold as an Over The Counter (OTC) product.
Patients Queries About Enterogermina
I opened the Vial/Ampule an hour ago. Can I use it now?
No. Use the ampules immediately after opening. Open vials can be contaminated by other microbes. Do not store the open vials for later use.
My 2-month baby is prescribed to take Enterogemina. Is it Safe?
Yes, Enterogermina is safe to take for infants. Follow the dosage and frequency of the medicine as prescribed by the Doctor.
When to take it? Before or After Meals?
You can take a dose anytime-either before or after food. Just make sure to keep a gape of an hour between the dosage of Antibiotic and probiotic medicine.
For how long should I take this medicine?
This medicine is for short-term use only. Generally, the recommended dose can last up to 4 days. Consult a doctor for the correct dosage as per your therapeutic needs.
For how long can I store this medicine?
You can store the unopened vials until the expiry date. The expiry dates are 3-4 years from the date of manufacturing.
I am Lactose intolerant. Can I take this medicine?
Yes. Lactose intolerant patients can also take Enterogermina.
My child doesn’t eat foods properly. Can this medicine help?
No. This medicine is a probiotic that helps in restoring the intestinal flora. It doesn’t have any properties that may increase the appetite of the patients.
My condition is not improved after taking Enterogermina. What should I do?
If your condition is not improved, consult your doctor. Your doctor may diagnose you with the other infections. He may also ask you go for stool and other required tests to confirm his diagnosis. The doctor will prescribe medicines accordingly.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Is Enterogermina a Dietary supplement?
No, it is not a dietary supplement.
Is this a Vitamin Supplement?
No, this medicine does not contain any vitamin supplements.
Can I take it while I am on Iron supplements?
Yes. This medicine does not interact with iron or other supplements. You can take this medicine.