What is Dexorange Syrup?
The Dexorange syrup is a combination medicine which has Iron supplements and essential Vitamins.
This syrup is widely prescribed for the treatment of Iron Deficiency Anemia, Folic acid deficiency, and Low count of red blood cells.
This syrup is manufactured and marketed by Franco-Indian Pharmaceuticals Private Limited. It is packaged in glass bottles containing 200 ml syrup.
What are The Generic Medicines in Dexorange Syrup?
Dexorange syrup is a combination of many vitamins and iron supplements. Every 15 ml (1 tablespoon) dose of this syrup contains following generic medicines as the active ingredient:
- Cyanocobalamine – 7.5 micrograms
- Vitamin B9 (Folic Acid) – 0.5 milligrams
- Ferric Ammonium Citrate – 160 milligrams
- Alcohol (95% IP) – 0.87 milliliters
Dosage of Dexorange Syrup
Dexorange is a dietary supplement. The dosage of this syrup will depend on the deficiency or symptoms it is administered for.
Generally prescribed dosage for this syrup is 2 tablespoons every day. Take a tablespoon of this syrup in the morning after your breakfast, and another after the dinner.
Never take the syrup on an empty stomach. Also, drinking this syrup with water is not advisable.
Working Mechanism of Dexorange Syrup
Nutrients present in the syrup promotes the production of healthy Blood cells in adequate amounts. The syrup comes with added vitamins to compensate the loss in nutritional value in the latter use. Also, the iron content in the syrup provides elemental iron to increase the production of hemoglobin and red blood cells. It also supports the production of blood platelets.
Uses of Dexorange syrup
The Dexorange syrup is useful in managing the signal listed below:
- Iron Deficiency
- Iron deficiency anemia caused by chronic blood loss (After pregnancy or surgeries)
- Anemia due to deficiency of Folic acid
- Poor absorption of nutrients
- Folate deficiency
- Growing requirements of folate in the body during pregnancy
- Malnutrition due to poor diet habits
- Nerve damages
- Lack of appetite and weakness
- Hookworm infestation
- Dimorphic anemia
- Vitamin B deficiency
If taken in the correct dosage as prescribed by a doctor, dexorange syrup works effectively. The syrup can be prescribed for other ailments which are not listed here.
Possible Side Effects of Dexorange Syrup
While given as a nutritional supplement, this syrup is generally regarded as safe to use for everyone. However, if taken incorrectly it can implicate following adverse conditions:
The following are common side effects of this syrup:
- Change in the color of urine and stool
- Darkened color of excretes
- Loss of appetite
- Metal instability and Depression (Rare)
- Hypersensitivity or Allergic rejection
- Abdominal discomfort and Stomach Pain
- Digestive problems, gas
- Irregular breathing of Difficulty in breathing
- Bitter taste in mouth
- Weakness and nausea
- Itching and irritation of the skin
- Increased blood sugar levels
- Tremors, chills, and cold-like symptoms
- Sleep disorders, hot flushes, and insomnia
The medicine can cause other side-effects apart from what’s listed here. If the symptoms or conditions seem serious, seek emergency help immediately.
Precautions While Using Dexorange
- Do not take this medicine you are having an allergic reaction to its components
- If you had any side-effects in the past, tell your doctor
- Tell your doctor if you are currently taking any other medications
- Do not take this medicine on an Empty Stomach
- Consult a Doctor for the correct dosage and frequency related information
- Take the full course of the treatment as advised by your doctor
- Check your blood sugar levels regularly
- Discuss with a Doctor about other health conditions you are suffering from
- Do not consume the medicine if the package is tempered of torn
- Keep the syrup in a cool dry place, away from sunlight
- Keep the cap of the bottle properly closed to avoid contamination
- Store the medicine away from the reach of children and pets
- The medicine is very sweet, so it may attract ants and other insects
Dexorange Syrup During Pregnancy
This drug has been approved by US FDA with ‘A’ certificate in the pregnancy category of medicines.
Pregnancy category ‘A’ denotes that No risk in controlled human studies: Adequate and well-controlled human studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus in the first trimester of pregnancy (and there is no evidence of risk in later trimesters).
However, you should not take any medicine without your doctors advise, especially during pregnancy.
Dexorange Syrup While Breastfeeding
Though the medicine is regarded safe to use while you are nursing a baby, consult your doctor before using it.
According to studies, It has been proven that traces of elemental iron, vitamin B12, and cyanocobalamine can pass through the breastmilk. However, the effects of these chemicals in a growing infant are not studied and are unclear. It can affect the digestive function of neonatal child and can be dangerous.
Can Dexorange be Given to Children?
Since the health implications for which Dexotange syrup is administered, can affect anyone; this medicine can be prescribed to children as well.
Always consult a qualified Pediatrician before giving any medicine to your children. The dosage and the frequency of medication vary largely different from what is prescribed for adults.
Where to Buy Dexorange Syrup?
You can buy Dexorange syrup in all the leading drugstores and pharmacies. It is sold as an over the counter (OTC) drug. You are not required to a doctors prescription to buy this medicine. You can order it from online pharmacies as well.
Note: Although it is an OTC medicine, always consult a doctor before using it. As written earlier the incorrect dose or dexorange can cause serious side effects. Do not self-medicate.
Patient’s Query About Dexorange
For How Long Should I take Dexorange syrup?
You should take this syrup for the duration as advised by your doctor. The duration will depend upon your particular health problem. In general cases of low Hemoglobin anemia, it is prescribed to take the syrup twice a day for 6 months.
What to do if I overdose on the syrup?
Drink water to cleanse the syrup out of the system. If needed, vomit out the excessive syrup. Consult with a doctor immediately. The syrup contains high amounts of sugar, alcohol, and cyanocobalamin. These nutrients can disrupt your digestive system. High sugar intake can be even dangerous for diabetic patients.
What if I happen to miss a dose?
You can take the missed dose as soon as you remember. But make sure of 2 things:
- Not to take this syrup on empty stomach
- Plan and reschedule your next dosage accordingly.
Do not take double doses. Make sure to take two consecutive doses at least 4 hours apart.
Can I give to my Child for a longer period?
It is advised to get Child diagnosed first. Then the pediatrician will suggest the correct dosage and duration for the treatment. Your child may have to go through Ferritin and Serum hemoglobin level tests for the diagnosis of his/her therapeutic requirements.
However, this medicine is considered safe to be given to children for longer periods.