Overview of Dandruff Treatment
Dandruff is a common scalp condition in which you can see small pieces of dry skin flake off of the scalp. Itching of scalp often occurs before flake. Dandruff is a very common condition but sometimes it can be embarrassing and also difficult to treat. Overuse of shampoo is also one of the causes for it. This article will provide all you need to know about dandruff treatment.
Many people think that it is caused by poor hygiene, but it is not true. Proper brushing the hair and washing can help in the prevention of dandruff. While wearing dark colored clothes or having dark hair, you may often notice the flakes in hair or on your shoulders.
Sometimes dandruff occurs because of certain medical/skin conditions or inappropriate hair products. Medicated shampoo and scalp treatments are the most effective ways to control and treat it
In many cases, people think that the flakes are the only sign of dandruff but itchiness is the most common symptom of dandruff that occurs before flakes. Each individual may experience one or more symptoms. The symptoms include:
- Dry scalp
- Itchy/scaly scalp
There are several causes of dandruff such as dry skin which has very little moisture, irritated scalp, older age, a yeast-like fungus known as Malassezia and others. The exact causes of dandruff are unknown but some of the possible factors include:
- Dry Skin
- Seborrheic dermatitis (irritated, oily skin)
- Contact dermatitis (sensitivity to hair care products)
- Not enough hair brushing
- Irritation from Malassezia (fungus)
- Diet (not enough zinc and vitamin B in diet)
- Frequent/overuse of shampoo
- Mental stress
- Weather (hot/humid or cold/dry)
- Certain skin conditions
- Medical conditions
- Maintain a Diet: A healthy diet including vitamin B, healthy fats and zinc should be maintained in order to prevent dandruff.
- Sunlight: Spending more time outdoors in the sun can help to prevent dandruff. In order to avoid unhealthy sun exposure, one should use sunscreen before going outdoors.
- Wash Hair Regularly: In case of an oily scalp, one should wash hair once daily. Maintaining hair hygiene helps to prevent dandruff. It also helps to keep hair and scalp healthy.
- Avoid hair styling products: Use of styling products such as hair gel, hair spray, hair wax etc. should be avoided. These products lead to the development of dandruff. In case of an oily scalp, one should cut down the usage of these products.
- Coconut oil and Lemon: Coconut oil has antifungal properties which nourish hair, moisturizes the dry scalp, prevents itching and eliminate dandruff. Lemon is very useful to treat dandruff.
- Take some coconut oil and mix it with the juice of half lemon.
- Massage your scalp gently for few minutes.
- Leave it for at least 20 minutes, then you can shampoo your hair.
- Follow this remedy twice or thrice a week.
- Curd and Lemon: Curd is very effective for the treatment of dandruff. It is also helpful for silky and smooth hair. Lemon, on the other hand, contains acid which is very effective in the treatment of dandruff as it fights fungi that cause dandruff.
- Mix some curd and juice of half lemon, apply it on your hair and scalp.
- Leave it for about 20 minutes.
- Then you can rinse it with a shampoo.
- Follow this few times a week.
- Fenugreek seeds: Fenugreek seeds are great for your hairs. It nourishes hair, moisturizes the dry scalp, prevents itching, prevents premature greys and eliminates dandruff. It also works as a hair conditioner.
- Soak some fenugreek seeds overnight in water.
- Grind the fenugreek seeds into a smooth paste and mix it with yogurt.
- Apply the paste to your scalp and let it be there for an hour.
- Then rinse your hair with shampoo.
Apply it twice or thrice a week for better results.
Dandruff can always be controlled, but its treatment may take time depending on the condition. One should always wash hair with a gentle shampoo and then use a moisturizing conditioner. Daily cleansing will help to reduce oiliness of the scalp.
In case of mild dandruff, you should wash your hair every day with a gentle shampoo and it reduces the amount of oil on your scalp. If you have severe dandruff and regular shampoo fails to work, try using a dandruff shampoo. Not all dandruff shampoos are alike, you may need to use it few times to check whether it works for you or not.
In case of an allergic reaction such as rash, hives, etc or if you develop redness/itching on the scalp from using any product; stop using it and consult your doctor immediately.
Over the counter (OTC) Shampoo for Dandruff Treatment
The most anti-dandruff shampoo contains one of the following ingredients:
- Zinc Pyrithione: It has antibacterial and antifungal properties. This helps to slow the growth of fungi (Malassezia) and kills it, as it is responsible for the development of dandruff.
- Salicylic Acid: It is known as scalp scrub and its usage helps the scalp get rid of dead skin cells. It never slows down the reproduction of skin cells. Sometimes this treatment can leave your scalp dry and can also make skin flaking worse. Using any conditioner after shampooing can help reduce dryness of scalp.
- Ketoconazole: It is an antifungal agent. It always works in the cases where other shampoos fail. There is no age restriction for using the Ketoconazole shampoo. It helps to prevent as well as treat dandruff.
- Selenium Sulfide: It helps to kill dandruff which causes fungi. It also works to slow the production of skin cells on the scalp. In case of grey hair or if you used any hair dye, make sure to use it after prescription of a doctor.
- Coal Tar Shampoo: It prevents dandruff and also works to slow down the production of dead skin cells. These shampoos should be used under doctor’s guidance as it can change hair color if you have grey hair.
Dandruff treatment is an easy process. Contrary to popular belief, Dandruff isn’t caused by poor hygiene. In fact, it’s exact root cause is unknown. The main thing to blame is dry and flaky skin on the scalp, and there are many factors that can contribute to it.
It is a temporary problem and you can easily get rid of it. There are so many remedies and shampoos that can be used for dandruff treatment at ease.
Can I use any shampoo for the treatment?
No, you will need to use a medicated shampoo specially made for dandruff treatment. Other shampoos will not be effective. Consult a doctor to know about the suitable shampoo for your condition.
Is it contagious?
No, it is not contagious. However, if not treated on time, it can lead to serious complications such as rough hair and excessive hair fall. You should go for dandruff treatment as soon as possible.