What is Clavam 625?
Clavam 625 is an Antibiotic medicine, manufactured and marketed by Alkem Laboratories Limited.
This drug is to be taken orally and it is sold in the form of laminated tablets (10 Tablets/strip). Clavam tablet is administered widely for the treatment of bacterial infection in the body.
This medicine can be prescribed to treat conditions caused by harmful bacterias; such as skin irritations, Urinary tract infection, sinusitis etc.
This medicine is not effective against Viral infections.
Uses of Clavam 625 Tablets
As said earlier, Clavam is an antibacterial and antibiotic drug. It is widely used in the treatment of conditions caused by bacterial infections. Some of the common conditions in which Clavam 625 is applicable are listed below:
- Infections of the Respiratory System
- Bacterial Sinusitis and Hypersensitivity of Sinus
- Ear Infections (Otitis Media)
- Cystis or other infections in the bladder
- Bacterial Diahhrea (E. Coli, Clostridium infection)
- Skin rashes, Infections, or itching caused by infections
- Gonorrhea, Cellulitis
- Oral Infections
- Other bacterial infections which are not listed here.
IMPORTANT: One should go through detailed diagnosis to confirm the root cause of the problem. Since this drug is NOT effective against Viral infections, it should only be used to treat bacterial infections, not viruses.
What is/are The Generic Medicine in Clavam 625?
The ‘625’ in the name of these tablets denotes the strength (compositions) of the Generic medicines present in it.
Each Clavam tablets consists of 625 mg of the below chemicals as the active ingredients:
- Clavulanic Acid – 125 mg
- Amoxicillin – 500 mg
Clavulanic acid is a beta-inhibitor drug.
Amoxicillin is a potent antibiotic drug derived from the penicillin family.
Clavulanic acid doesn’t pose any antibiotic properties. But when used in combination with Amoxicillin, clavulanic acid works to prevent the development of any antibiotic resistance and stops the bacterial growth.
Working Mechanism of Clavam 625
Amoxicillin is the basic antibiotic medicine in the tablets. It works by damaging the cellular walls of the bacteria causing the infection. It also decreases the production of lipids and proteins required by the harmful bacteria to maintain structural integrity. Eventually, the harmful bacteria are not capable of surviving and replicating.
Clavulanic acid belongs to a group of medicines known as the Beta-Lactamase Inhibitor. Beta-lactamase is released by the immune system of bacteria to sustain the effects of Antibiotics. Lactamase inhibitors such as Clavulanic acid, prevent the bacteria from mutating and developing any resistance towards antibiotics.
Dosage of Clavam 625
The dosage of This medicine virtually depends on the body weight of the patient.
- Children who have body weight above 10 kg and are able to swallow the tablets can be prescribed to take 1 tablet divided in 2 to 3 doses during the day.
- Children with body weight above 40 Kg and adults are generally prescribed to take 2 tablets in a day.
- Dosage may vary according to the method of treatment. You may be prescribed with other medicines at the same time as well.
- If you have any kidney problems, the dosage of Clavam 625 will be lower.
Consult your doctor or pharmacist for the correct dosage information.
How To Take Clavam 625 Tablets?
This antibiotic medicine works best if taken before meals. Swallow the tablet with a glass of drinking water 15 to 30 minutes before your meals.
Two consecutive doses of this medicine should be at least 4 hours apart.
The maximum recommended dose is 6 grams/24 hrs. Never take 2 doses/tablets with the timespan of 2 hours.
Avoid taking Amoxicillin with Orange or Lime Juice. The Vitamin C and Beta Carotene present in such juices may interact with Amoxicillin. Avoid consumption of Citrus fruits and juices within an hour of your antibiotic dose.
Possible Side Effects Of Clavam 625
Clavam 625 tablets are generally considered safe and have no side effects. However, interaction with other medicines or incorrect dosage of this medicine may cause following adverse effects:
- A sore throat, and Soreness in the Mouth
- Dryness in the Mouth and Tongue
- Irritation and Itching in the Urinary tract
- Mild Headaches, Tiredness, and Dizzyness
- Indigestion and Stomach Pain
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Diarrhea (Rare)
- Gaseous feeling in stomach
- Discoloration of Teeth (Rare)
- Skin Rashes (Urticaria) (Rare)
- Vaginal Itching
- Vaginal Discharge
- Hot flushes
- Agitation and Insomnia
Consult your doctor immediately if you see any of this symptoms. Clavam can cause other side-effects as well, which are not listed here.
Precautions While Using Clavam 625
Discuss thoroughly with your doctor before using Clavam tablets, IF:
- You are Hypersensitive (Allergic) to Amoxicillin.
- Ever had any allergic reactions to penicillin or other antibiotics.
- You had Liver-related problems in the past.
- You are taking any other medications that may interact with Amoxicillin.
- See a drastic change in the color or urine or stool after taking this medicine.
- Avoid consumption of Alcohol during amoxicillin medication. Though alcohol does not affect the activities of amoxicillin, it can delay the recovery.
- Stop the medication if you are having skin rashes of itching as a reaction.
- Take reduced doses if you have any kidney related problems.
- If the packaging is tampered or torn, then do not take this tablet.
- Keep the medicine away from sunlight, in a dry and cool place.
- Do not refrigerate the tablets.
- Check the expiry date before taking this or any medication.
- Always keep the medicines away from the reach of children.
Can Clavam 625 Be Given to Children?
Yes, this medicine can be prescribed to children. However, the dosage will be different from as prescribed for adults.
Consult a qualified Pediatrician before administering Clavam tablets for children. Do not Self Medicate.
Is it Safe to Take Clavam 625 During Pregnancy?
Both, Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid are classified in the Pregnancy Category “B”. It means the Studies done on the animals using the medicine have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus. There are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women.
This may also translate into No risk in Other Studies: Animal studies have shown an adverse effect, but adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus in any trimester.
Clavam tablets are considered safe to take if you are nursing/breastfeeding a baby. However, it’s always safe to consult your gynecologist before using any medicines.
Where Can You Buy Clavam 625 Tablets?
The medicine is available at all leading pharmacies, drugstores and medicine retailers. However, the drug is not sold without a Doctor’s prescription. It is not an Over-The-Counter (OTC) medicine.
In General cases, Clavam tablets are a prescription drug. In order to buy these tablets, you will need a Prescription from a qualified doctor.
Frequently Asked Questions About Clavam 625:
Can I take Clavam to treat a cough and cold?
Yes, you can. Clavam is an antibiotic drug and it can be used in the treatment of coughs and cold. However, ask your doctor first. Be careful as it may cause side-effects such as vomiting, nausea and stomach ache.
For how long should I take Clavam tablets?
The duration and dosage of medication will depend on the severity of your infection. Generally, clavam tablets are prescribed for 2-4 days. Complete the course as advised by your doctor. Otherwise, some bacteria will remain in your system and it can relapse the infection.
Can I use Clavam for Acne and Pimples?
If the cause of your acne and pimples is diagnosed to be the bacterial infection, then using antibiotics orally and topically can be used for the treatment. As your dermatologist before using clavam to treat Acne.
Can I Use Amoxicillin if I have fungal Infections?
Yes, You can use Amoxicillin. However, prolonged use of Amoxicillin or other bacterial antibiotics is not advisable. Amoxicillin can decrease the bacterias which help in keeping the fungus growth regulated. This can trigger a breakout of fungal or yeast infection.
What to do if I took an Overdose (OD) of Clavam?
Immediately contact your doctor. Follow his advice on the dosage and precautions. Start drinking more water to flush out the medicine from your system. Rush to the nearest medical center to prevent further complication. Symptoms of Clavam overdose may include severe diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain and discomfort and abdominal cramps.