What is Betnovate?
Betnovate is the brand name of an Anti-inflammatory and anti-itching medicine. This medicine is manufactured and marketed by Glaxo SmithKline (GSK) pharmaceuticals limited. Betnovate is available in the form of Ointment (Cream) and Lotions. The key active ingredient in the medicine is Betamethasone. There are many variations of the medicine sold as Betnovate C cream, Betnovate N ointment, and Betnovate GM etc. All the variants have different components effective in the topical treatment of various skin conditions.
What is the Generic medicine in Betnovate?
Betnovate cream is basically administered for the treatment of inflammatory conditions of the skin, including infections on the skin. Here is the list of generic medicines present in different variants of Betnovate:
- Betamethasone Valerate Topical 0.1% w/w
Betnovate C Cream:
- Betamethasone Topical – 0.12 % w/w
- Clioquinol (Iodochlorhydroxyquin) – 3 % w/w
Betnovate N cream:
- Betamethasone valerate – 0.1% w/w
- Neomycin sulphate 0.5% w/w
Betnovate GM cream:
- Betamethasone Topical – 0.10 % w/w
- Gentamicin Topical – 0.10% w/w
- Miconazole Topical – 2% w/w
Dosage of Betnovate
The Quantity of the cream to be applied and frequency of application will depend on the severity of the conditions it is administered for. Kindly consult a qualified Dermatologist for the diagnosis of the problem and correct dosage information. Follow your doctor advice for the dosage and do not overuse the cream.
Working Mechanism of Betnovate
Betamethasone: It is a corticosteroid medicine. It prevents the inflammation and irritation of the skin. It works by controlling the production of antigens that cause redness and bumps on the skin. Betamethasone also has skin discoloration properties. It can be useful in preventing the formation of scars due to infections.
Chlorocresol: Chlorocresol is a preservative added to the cream.
Clioquinol: It is an Antifungal agent, coming from a family of medicines known as hydroxyquinoline. Clioquinol works by affecting the DNA replication of fungus and prevents their growth. Also, in case of bacterial infections, Clioquinol is used in combination with Antibacterial medicines to prevent the infection. Clioquinol is also used in combination with steroidal medicines to treat inflammation of the skin.
Neomycin: Neomycin is an antibiotic that fights bacteria in the body. Neomycin is used to reduce the risk of infection during surgery of your intestines. Neomycin is also used to reduce the symptoms of hepatic coma.
Gentamicin: Gentamicin is an antibiotic and works effectively against bacteria. It prevents bacteria from synthesizing essential proteins for bacterial growth.
Uses of Betnovate
These creams are topical ointments. They can be prescribed for the treatment of various skin conditions caused by bacterial and fungal infections. Some of such skin issues are listed below:
- Bacterial Infection on the ski
- Fungal infections, Toenail fungus
- Dryness of skin and Psoriasis
- Allergic response, skin bumps
- Infections caused by eating raw or uncooked meat
- Infection of the external ear (common in children)
- Skin conditions caused by Ulcerative Colitis
- Lupus and Eczema
- Atopic Dermatitis and Pus Filled Swelling
- Skin Infection in New-born Babies
- Infection in the Groin/Pubic area
The cream can be prescribed for other conditions which are not listed here. The cream is used in combination with an Oral dose of antibiotics for faster recovery. Topical application of this cream is very effective in the treatment of all the conditions listed above.
Possible Side Effects of Betnovate Cream
This medicine is generally safe to use for various skin conditions. However, incorrect dosage and long-term use can cause some of the side-effects listed below:
- Rashes and Swelling of the skin
- Pimples, Acne, and Other inflammatory conditions
- Discoloration of the skin
- Thinning of Skin
- Redness and irritations on the skin
- Muscle disorder and Altered bone growth
- Disturbed Electrolyte balance
- Fat deposition or redistribution under the skin
- Changed Body growth pattern in infants
- Contact dermatitis
- Dryness of the skin, rough skin
- Tingling sensations
- Increased level of Blood sugar
- Hormonal imbalance
Precautions While Using Betnovate Cream
One should use the following precautionary steps while using the Cream:
Use the cream topically and externally only. Don’t apply this cream on open wounds.
- Avoid swallowing or inhaling the cream.
- Use with precaution while applying the cream to the thin skin near eyes and mouth.
- Avoid the contact with Eyes; also wash your hands after using this cream.
- It contains steroidal components, so avoid using the cream if the patient is pregnant.
- Breastfeeding women should avoid the cream as well.
- Do a patch test before using it. If you notice any allergic reactions, don’t use this cream.
- Applied cream does not need any covering, so avoid using any bandage.
- Monitor your blood sugar and hormone levels regularly.
- Do not use the cream for acute or systemic fungal infections.
- Withdraw the use of the cream gradually and slowly.
- Use with precaution while administering the cream to Children and Elderly patients.
Where to Buy Betnovate Cream
This cream is not sold as an over the counter product. In order to buy this cream, you will need a prescription from a qualified Doctor.
All the variant of this medicinal cream is readily available at all major drugstores and pharmacies.
Patient Queries on Betnovate Cream
I have Acne. Will this cream be useful for the treatment?
No, this cream is not suitable for the treatment of Acne or acne scars. Consult a dermatologist for the correct medicinal option for the acne treatment.
I am having some skin infection, can I use this medicine?
No, Betamethasone cream should not be applied for skin infection directly, without taking any medicine for infection. Consult a doctor before using Betamethasone for a skin infection.
Can I use this cream to remove old Scars?
No. Though this cream contains few chemicals which can lighten the skin and may make the scar look less prominent. But these effects will take effect very slowly and late. However, there are many other scar removing creams available. Please, consult a doctor to choose the best treatment for you.
Can I use this cream for Mouth Ulcers?
No, this cream is not for internal use. It is not effective against mouth ulcers.
Are Betnovate cream is same as Betnovate C and Betnovate GM?
No, All these three creams are not the same. They all have different ingredients.