What is Banocide Forte?
Banocide Forte is an anthelmintic and anti-worm medication, which is used to kill a certain type of worm infections. It is prescribed for the treatment of Bancroft’s filariasis, River blindness, Tropical eosinophilia, Worm infection, Loiasis, and others.
Banocide Forte is manufactured and marketed by Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd. It is available in the package of 30 tablets per strip.
- Generic Medicine in The Tablet
- Dosage of This Tablet
- Working Mechanism of This Medicine
- Why is This Tablet Prescribed?
- Possible Side Effects of This Medicine
- Precautions While Using The Tablet
- Using The Tablet During Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
- Dosage for Children and Infants
- Where to Buy This Tablet?
- Patients Queries About This Tablet?
Generic Medicine in The Tablet
The generic medicine present in Banocide Forte tablet is Diethylcarbamazine Citrate. It works by killing larval as well as adult forms of the parasitic worms which cause filariasis. It is present in the strength of 100 mg per tablet.
Dosage of This Tablet
The dose of Banocide forte is prescribed, based on factors such as patient’s age, weight, current health condition and medical history. Consult your doctor for correct usage frequency of medicine. Take this medicine exactly as prescribed by your doctor or as directed on the label. Do not chew, crush or break it. Swallow it as a whole. Banocide Forte should be taken immediately after meals. Never start, stop, or change the dose of this medicine without consulting your doctor.
Working Mechanism of This Medicine
Diethylcarbamazine Citrate belongs to the class of medication known as antihelmintic medicine which does not resemble any other antiparasitic compound. It is a synthetic compound that is highly specific for several parasites. It is used in the treatment of worm infections. This works by killing the worms. It is used in the treatment of Bancroft’s filariasis, River blindness, loiasis, and others. But, it will not work for the worm infections such as pinworms or tapeworms. It acts against larval as well as the adult form of parasitic worms which tend to cause filariasis.
Why is This Tablet Prescribed?
Banocide forte can be used in prevention/treatment of following diseases:
- Bancroft’s filariasis
- River blindness
- Worm infection
- Tropical pulmonary eosinophilia
- Tropical eosinophilia
- Eosinophilic lung
Banocide forte may also be used for the purpose not listed here.
Contraindications of Banocide Forte
Do not use Banocide forte tablet if you have any of the following conditions:
- Kidney disease
- Heart disease
- Allergic reactions
- Shortness of breath
- Pregnant, breastfeeding
- Under hormonal medication
Possible Side Effects of This Medicine
- Headaches, Dizziness, fatigue
- Fever, weakness, Unusual tiredness
- Hair loss
- Nausea, Vomiting
- Rash, itching, swelling of face
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Shortness of breath
- Allergic reaction
- Joint pain
- Change in vision
- Dryness of mouth and throat
- Painful and tender glands in the neck
- Abdominal pain
- Abnormal liver function test
- Kidney failure
- Reduction in number of WBC in blood
- Dark urine
This is not a comprehensive list of all the possible side effects. If any of these side effects persist longer, seek emergency medical help or consult a doctor immediately.
Precautions While Using The Tablet
- Before using Banocide forte, inform your doctor about your medical history, the current list of medications and current health conditions.
- Some health conditions may make you more susceptible to the side-effects of the drug.
- Avoid using this medicine if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- This medicine should not be given to the patients more than 65 years of age.
- Do not take this medicine if you are suffering from allergic reactions, convulsions, coronary artery disease, epilepsy, renal impairment, hepatic impairment, etc.
- Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to any of the ingredients.
- After medication, if your symptoms do not improve or get worse, contact your doctor immediately.
- Patients under any hormonal medication should avoid using the Banocide forte tablet.
- Banocide forte may cause dizziness/drowsiness, So don’t drive or operate machinery until you know how it affects you.
- Do not consume alcohol or any tobacco product while taking this medicine.
- Take this medicine only if prescribed by a qualified doctor.
- Banocide Forte tablet should be taken immediately after meals.
- Never start, stop, or change the dose of this medicine without consulting your doctor.
- Do not chew, crush or break it. Swallow it as a whole.
- Do not use the medicine, if the expiry date printed on the pack has passed.
- Keep the medicine in cool and dry place; avoid heat and direct sunlight.
- Do not store medicine in the bathroom or near a sink.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicine.
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from any disease.
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
Using The Tablet During Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
This medicine is classified in the pregnancy category ‘D’ by FDA. It is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy or if you are planning to get pregnant. There is positive evidence of human fetal risk based on adverse reaction data from investigational or marketing experience or studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks. Please consult your doctor before administering this medicine to a pregnant woman.
Banocide Forte is not safe to take during breastfeeding as there is no proper study which shows whether it can pass into breast milk or may harm a nursing baby or it may affect the quantity of breast milk. Its effects on infant’s health are unknown. Consult your doctor before using this medicine if you are breastfeeding.
Dosage for Children and Infants
Banocide forte can be given to children above 2 years of age, but for children, less than 2 years of age, infants and newborn babies, usage of this medicine is contraindicated. It should only be used after consulting your doctor. Always consult your doctor before giving any medicine to a child, as its side effect may worsen the condition of the child.
Where to Buy This Tablet?
The tablet is available at all major drugstore and pharmacies. However, this medicine is not sold without a Doctor’s prescription. In order to buy this medicine, you need a prescription from a qualified doctor.
Patients Queries About This Tablet
For how long should I take Banocide forte?
Consult your doctor regarding dosage frequency and duration of this medicine, as it depends on your current health condition. Do not self-medicate as it may cause serious side effects.
Can this Medicine cause blindness?
No, it does not cause blindness. This medicine is safe to use for short-term purposes. If used for a long period, these tablets can cause visual impairments such as night blindness, tunneled vision, and damaged vision.
Is Banocide forte syrup is same as the Tablets?
No, both the syrup and tablets are different. Though they have the same name, the ingredients and their composition are not the same. If you are prescribed to take the tablets, do not take syrup and vice versa. Get yourself checked by a Doctor. The doctor will prescribe the correct medication for your symptoms.