What is Autrin Capsule
Autrin capsule belongs to the class of Haematinics drugs that increases hemoglobin content of the blood. It is used in the treatment of Anemia, Red blood cells production, vitamin b12 deficiency, tissue repair, wound healing, and other medical conditions. This capsule is manufactured by Pfizer Ltd and is available in 30 capsules per pack.
- Composition of The Capsule
- Dosage of This Capsule
- Working Mechanism of This Medicine
- Why is This Capsule Prescribed?
- Possible Side Effects of This Medicine
- Precautions While Using These Capsules
- Using The Capsule During Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
- Dosage for Children and Infants
- Where to Buy These Capsules?
- Patients Queries About The Capsules
Composition of The Capsule
The generic ingredients of Autrin capsule are:
- Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) – 150 mg
- Folic Acid (Vitamin B) – 2 mg
- Cyanocobalamine (Vitamin B12) – 15 mcg
- Ferrous Fumarate (Iron) – 350 mg
Dosage of This Capsule
The usual dose of Autrin capsule is to take 1 capsule daily after eating the meal. It is recommended not to take this medicine on empty stomach. Take as directed by your doctor as dosage may vary on the condition of the patients.
Working Mechanism of This Medicine
Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) helps the body to absorb iron, which is required for the production of red blood cells (RBC). It is known as an anti-oxidant and is needed for the maintenance of skin, bones, teeth, blood vessels, and cartilage. It helps in repairing and formation of damaged tissues.
Folic Acid is a derivative version of Vitamin B. It helps the body in production and maintenance of new cells. It is very helpful for heart diseases and avoiding birth abnormalities. Folic acid is much needed for the proper development of human body. It is also involved in the formation of DNA and other functions.
Cyanocobalamin or cobalamin (Vitamin B12) is a water-soluble vitamin. It is an essential vitamin, which is required by the body to work properly. Furthermore, Vitamin B also aids in the production of DNA, RNA, and neurotransmitters. It is required for proper functioning and development of blood cells, brain, nerves and other body parts.
Ferrous Fumarate is a type of iron which is used in the prevention and treatment of iron deficiency anemia. This medicine increases the production of red blood cells (RBC) and reduces the symptoms of anemia.
Why is This Capsule Prescribed?
Autrin capsule is used for the treatment of following diseases:
- Vitamin B12 deficiency
- Megaloblastic anemia of nutritional origin
- Malabsorption syndrome
- Wound healing
- Diarrhea, Heartburn, Indigestion, Upset stomach
- Nausea, Vomiting
- Tissue repair
- Iron deficiency anemia
- Coeliac disease
- Haemolytic anemia
- Megaloblastic anemia
- Myelofibrosis (Bone marrow disorder)
- Pellagra disease
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Tobacco amblyopia
- Anemia that occurs during lactation
- Prophylaxis of megaloblastic anemia of pregnancy
- Iron deficiency due to chronic blood loss
- Iron deficiency due to low intake of iron
Contraindications of Autrin
- High levels of iron
- Allergic reactions
- Kidney infection
- Children below 4 months of age
Possible Side Effects of This Medicine
Autrin can cause following side-effects
- Diarrhea, constipation, Dark colored or bloody stools, abdominal cramping
- Gastrointestinal discomfort, Loss of appetite, Anorexia nervosa
- Heartburn, Epigastric pain
- Fainting, nausea, vomiting, Bronchospasm
- A general feeling of discomfort, illness
- Staining of teeth
- Persistent urticaria, Pruritis
- Skin rash, Itching, redness of skin
- Traces of blood in Vomits (Haematemesis)
- Acute liver necrosis
- Acidification of the urine, Burning sensations while urination
- Restlessness, Sweating
- Dizziness, Lethargy
- Iron-induced toxicity
Precautions While Using These Capsules
- Before using Autrin capsule, inform your doctor about your current list of medications and current health conditions.
- Some health conditions may make you more susceptible to the side-effects of the drug.
- Avoid usage of this medicine in patients with an active peptic ulcer, repeated blood transfusion, regional enteritis, and ulcerative colitis.
- Autrin capsule should be taken with precaution during medical conditions such as bowel problems, Crohn’s disease, folate-dependent tumors colitis and other conditions.
- Usage of this medicine is not recommended during the 1st trimester of pregnancy.
- Before taking Autrin, tell your doctor if you have any allergies. This product may contain ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions.
- Usage of this medicine should be avoided if there are symptoms of iron intolerance.
- Avoid consumption of Alcoholic beverages.
- Take as directed by your doctor or follow the direction printed on the product insert.
- Ensure that the right amount of medicine should be consumed for prescribed duration only.
- Do not start or stop any medicine without the approval of a doctor.
- Do not crush or chew capsules.
- If the packaging is tampered or torn, do not take this capsule.
- Always take this medicine at the same time, each day.
- Follow the directions written on your medicine label.
- Keep the tablets in the original pack until it is time to take them.
- Keep the medicine away from sunlight, in a dry and cool place.
- Do not store medicine in the bathroom or near a sink.
- The expiry date printed on the pack has passed
- Always keep the medicine away from the reach of children and pets.
- Do not refrigerate the medicine, unless required by package insert.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicine
Tell your doctor if you are suffering from any disease
Using The Capsule During Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
You can this medicine during pregnancy if prescribed by a doctor, but only in the recommended dose. Also, Adequate and well-controlled studies have failed to demonstrate any risk to the fetus in the first trimester of pregnancy (and there is no evidence of risk in later trimesters). However, usage of any medicine should be avoided during the pregnancy, unless advised by a qualified doctor.
Similarly, This medicine is safe to use during breastfeeding but should be taken in the recommended dose. Till now there are no reports of any problems occurring with the use of this medicine during breastfeeding. But, if you are breastfeeding or planning to start breastfeeding, consult a doctor before using this medicine
Dosage for Children and Infants
This medicine can be used for children and infants if prescribed by a qualified doctor. However, the capsule may be difficult for younger kids to swallow. In such cases, your doctor may suggest administering syrup or another form for younger children.
Be very careful while giving an iron supplement to children. an overdose can cause iron-induced toxicity in the children. Consult with a doctor regarding the frequency and the dosage of the drug.
Where to Buy These Capsules?
Autrin is available at all major drugstores and pharmacies. You will not need a doctor’s prescription to buy these capsules. However, you should always consult your doctor before using the medicine.
Patients Queries About The Capsules
I have taken an overdose. What should I do now?
First, check for Symptoms of overdose. Symptoms include Abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, rectal bleeding, and others may occur. It can also cause severe iron toxicity. Please rush to the emergency department of the nearest healthcare center immediately.
Also, on the same note, You should never take extra or overdose of any prescribed medicine. Taking extra medicine will not improve your condition rather it can lead to serious side effects.
How many capsules should I take in a day?
Generally, Autrin capsule should be taken 1 capsule a day, but only after the recommendation of a qualified doctor. The dosage will also depend on your current physical condition and therapeutic needs.