What is Ascoril LS?
Ascoril Ls syrup is used for the treatment of a cough, cold, lung inflammation, sore throat, asthma, chest congestion, chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD) and other medical conditions. Ascoril ls syrup relaxes the muscle in airways, promotes mucus clearance and reduces the phlegm in the air passage. This Syrup is manufactured by Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd and available in 100 ml bottle.
Ascoril LS medicine is available in tablets, syrup, pastilles, inhalation solution, dry powder sachets, and drops. It is very effective medicine in treating above mentioned medical conditions.
- Generic Medicine in The Syrup
- Dosage of This Syrup
- Working Mechanism of This Medicine
- Why is This Syrup Prescribed?
- Possible Side Effects of This Syrup
- Precautions While Using This Syrup
- Using The Syrup During Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
- Dosage for Children and Infants
- Where to Buy This Syrup?
- Patients Queries About The Syrup
Generic Medicine in The Syrup
Ascoril ls contain following active ingredients:
- Ambroxol Hydrochloride – 15 mg
- Levosalbutamol Sulphate – 0.5 mg
- Guaifenesin – 50 mg
Dosage of This Syrup
Use Ascoril ls syrup medicine exactly as prescribed by your doctor or as directed on the label.
- For Children below 6 months – 0.5 ml twice daily
- Children between 7-12 months – 1 ml twice daily
- For Children between 1-2 yrs – ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) twice daily
- Children between 2-5 yrs – ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) thrice daily
- For Children between 6-12 yrs – 1 teaspoon (5 ml) 2-3 times a daily
- Adults and Children above 12 yrs – 2 teaspoons (10 ml) twice daily
Above mentioned dosage is for initial treatment only, the dose needs to be minimized after 14 days. Consult your doctor if you don’t see any signs of improvement after 14 days of use. Ascoril LS Syrup may be taken with or without food, but it is better to take it at a fixed time. Check the label for directions before use. Measure it with a measuring cup and take it by mouth. Shake well before use.
Working Mechanism of This Medicine
Ambroxol is a mucolytic and mucokinetic agent which is used in the treatment of respiratory diseases associated with excessive mucus. It works by helping to break the structure of mucus in lungs and facilitate expectoration, hence, it promotes mucus clearance and eases a productive cough that allows patients to breathe freely.
Levosalbutamol is a short-acting adrenergic receptor agonist, which is used in the treatment of asthma, Shortness of breath, Lung inflammation, constriction of airways, Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and other medical conditions. It prevents bronchospasm, reduces the resistance in airways and also increases the vital capacity.
Guaifenesin is widely used as an expectorant in many cough medicines. It works by thinning and loosening of mucus in the airways, breaking the fluid that causes congestion and making breathing easier.
Why is This Syrup Prescribed?
Ascoril ls is used for the treatment of following diseases:
- An acute sore throat
- Constriction of the airways
- Easing of breath
- Chest congestion
- Thickened mucus cough
- Lungs inflammation
- Respiratory tract diseases
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD)
Ascoril ls may also be used for the purpose not listed here.
Contraindications of Ascoril LS
Do not use Ascoril Ls syrup if you have any of the following conditions:
- Shortness of breath
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Severe constipation or dehydration
- Pregnant, breastfeeding
- Allergic reactions
- History of allergy
Possible Side Effects of This Syrup
Ascoril ls can cause following side-effects:
Precautions While Using This Syrup
You should take following precautions while administering this medicine:
- Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
- Do consult your doctor before taking Ascoril LS, if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Consult your doctor before using this syrup if you have medical conditions such as asthma, high blood pressure, liver disease, kidney disease, bronchitis, heart disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, porphyria and other conditions.
- Inform your doctor about any allergies, current medication, and pre-existing disease.
- Consult your doctor immediately if you see any symptoms such as shortness of breath; Itching; rash; swelling of the face, lips, tongue, throat, and any other severe allergic reaction.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking Ascoril LS, as it may cause drowsiness/dizziness.
- Consult your doctor if you don’t see any signs of improvement after 14 days of use.
- Do not use the medicine if expiry date printed on the pack has passed.
- Store medicines at room temperature, away from heat and direct light.
- Never freeze medicines unless required by package insert.
- Do not use if the package is torn or shows signs of tampering.
- Do not store this medicine in the bathroom or near a sink.
- Inform your doctor if you are suffering from any disease or taking any medicines.
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children and pets.
Using The Syrup During Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
This medicine is classified in the pregnancy category ‘C’ by FDA. This syrup may be unsafe to use during pregnancy, though no studies have been conducted on humans and animals. The benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk. Always consult a doctor before administering this medicine to a pregnant woman.
It is safe to take Ascoril LS during breastfeeding but in the recommended dose. As there are no reports of any problems occurring with the use of this medicine during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Please consult your doctor before using the medicine.
Dosage for Children and Infants
This medicine can be given to children but only after consulting with your doctor. Medicine should only be given in recommended dose. Always consult your doctor before giving any medicine to a child, as its side effect may worsen the condition of the child.
Where to Buy This Syrup
Ascoril ls is available at all major drugstores and pharmacies. It is available as an Over the counter (OTC) product. But always consult your doctor before using the medicine.
Patients Queries About The Syrup
What should I do in case of an overdose of this medicine?
Symptoms of overdose include fever, chest tightness, vomiting, nausea, itching, rash, etc. Do not take an overdose as taking more than prescribed dose will not improve your condition rather it will lead to serious side effects. Please rush to the emergency department of the nearest healthcare center immediately, as an overdose may worsen your condition.
Should I take this medicine on empty stomach or with food?
Ascoril ls may be taken with or without food, but it is better to take it at a fixed time. Please follow your doctor’s advice on how you should use this medicine.