What is Ampiclox?
Ampiclox is the Brand name of an Antibiotic medicine. This medicine is manufactured and marketed by Glaxo SmithKline (GSK) Pharmaceuticals Limited. Ampiclox has used in the treatment Bacterial infections such as streptococcal infections, staphylococcal infections, and other conditions. Ampiclox is sold in the form of Injections, Tablets, Oral suspension and Powder. All the available variants are listed below:
- AMPICLOX 500 (capsules)
- AMPICLOX S (syrup)
- AMPICLOX 500 I (injection)
- AMPICLOX 75 I (neonatal injection)
- AMPICLOX D (neonatal drops)
Generic Medicine in Ampiclox
Ampiclox is a combination medicine made with 2 effective Antibiotics:
Ampicillin — 250 mg
- Cloxacillin — 250 mg
- Dosage of Ampiclox
The average adult dose for AMPICLOX is 2 –4g per day. In severe infections, dosages may be safely increased.
- Adults and children over 10: 500 mg –1 g (1 –2 x 500 mg capsules) every 6 hours.
- Children 2 –10 years: 250-500 mg (5-10 mL of 250 mg/5 mL syrup) every 6 hours.
- Children up to 2 years: 250 mg (5 ml of 250 mg / 5 ml syrup) every 6 hours.
- Neonates: 90 mg (0.6 ml) every 4 hours.
Best results are obtained if dosages are administered half to one hour prior to meals or at least two hours after meals.
Uses of Ampiclox
The use of this antibiotic may lead to the appearance of resistant strains of organisms and sensitivity testing should, therefore, be carried out wherever possible, to ensure the appropriateness of the therapy.
Infections caused by susceptible organisms where a mixed infection is present and includes penicillin-resistant staphylococci.
- Infection of wounds
- Post-surgical infections
- Childbirth and associated fever
- Bacterial infection of vagina
- Skin infections
- Typhoid and enteritis
- Skin ulcerations
- Bone infections and Meningitis
- Urinary tract infection
- Bacterial infection in the respiratory tract
- Oral and ear infections
- Lung infection
Please consult with a doctor or a qualified health expert for the correct diagnosis of the problem. It has to be taken in the correct dosage, frequency and for the right period/ duration of time.
Working Mechanism of Ampiclox
AMPICLOX exhibits in vivo and in vitro bactericidal activity against Gram-positive and Gram-negative organisms. In vitro sensitivity does not necessarily imply in vivo activity.
Both ampicillin and cloxacillin are acid stable and well absorbed orally, giving peak serum levels about two hours after dosing. As there is a linear dose/response in peak serum level after oral administration of both components, doubling the dose virtually doubles the peak serum levels.
Both components are excreted primarily by the kidneys by glomerular filtration and tubular secretion.
Bile concentrations of AMPICLOX vary from 3 –48 times the serum concentration, according to the condition of the biliary tract.
Possible Side Effects of Ampiclox
The following is a list of possible side effects that may occur from the use of Ampiclox Tablet. This is not a comprehensive list. These side-effects are possible but do not always occur. Some of the side-effects may be rare but serious. Consult your doctor if you observe any of the following side-effects, especially if they do not go away.
- Hypersensitivity reactions
- Allergic reaction
- Weight loss
- General malaise
- Gastrointestinal discomfort
Ampiclox may also cause side-effects not listed here. If you notice other side-effects not listed above, contact your doctor for medical advice. You may also report side-effects to your local food and drug administration authority.
Precautions While Using Ampiclox
You should take following precautions while administering this medicine:
- If you have previously experienced liver problems after taking these tablets.
- If you are allergic to penicillin or similar types of antibiotics or any of the ingredients.
- The packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering.
- The expiry date printed on the pack has passed.
- Take this medicine only if you are prescribed by a doctor
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from any disease
- You should take following precautions for storing these tablets:
- Keep the tablets in the original pack until it is time to take them.
- Keep the pack in a cool dry place.
- Do not store medicine in the bathroom or near a sink.
- Avoid direct contact with sunlight.
- Keep it away from the reach of children and pets.
- If the expiry date on the pack is passed, ask a pharmacist about ways of discarding it.
Using Ampiclox during Pregnancy
This drug is classified by FDA as pregnancy category ‘B’ No risk in other studies: Animal reproduction studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the foetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women OR Animal studies have shown an adverse effect, but adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women have failed to demonstrate a risk to the foetus in any trimester.
Consult a doctor before administering this medicine to a pregnant woman.
It is generally regarded as a safe drug during breastfeeding. Consult a Doctor before administering this medicine to lactating mothers.
Yes, if prescribed by a qualified doctor, this medicine can be used for children and infants. Consult with a doctor regarding the frequency and the dosage of the drug.
Where to buy Amplicox?
Amplicox is a prescription medicine. In order to purchase Ampiclox Tablets, Syrup or injection; you will need a prescription from a qualified doctor.
This medicine is available at all major pharmacies and drugstores.
Patients Queries about Ampiclox
Can I take medicine for the treatment of a cough and cold?
Yes, it is an antibiotic and it is a frequently prescribed drug for the treatment of cold and cough physicians. However watch out for the side-effects like loose stools, nausea, and abdominal discomfort while the course of this medicine.
What to do if took in case I took an overdose of this medicine?
Immediately rush to your doctor or nearest health care center for advice.
Symptoms of overdose include mild to severe vomiting, nausea, cramps, and diarrhea.
Does it cause yeast infections?
Yes, long-term use of this medicine can cause the yeast infection. In prolonged use amoxicillin can kill the bacterium which helps in regulation of yeast population in the body, and cause a yeast infection.
Does it acts against anaerobic bacteria?
Yes, amoxicillin is very effective against both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria.
Does Ampiclox help in reducing acne?
Yes, this drug can help in reducing acne. Pimples or acne can occur due to a number of causes out of which bacterial infection is one of the most potent causes. If the acne is caused by bacterial infection, then a course of oral and topical antibiotics can be prescribed.