What is Almox 500?
Almox 500 capsule is an antibiotic drug. It is used for the treatment of wide variety of bacterial infections such as bronchitis, tonsillitis, pneumonia, gonorrhea, sinus, skin infection, urinary tract infection and others. The drug stops the bacteria from growing and prevents it with the cell wall synthesis. These capsules are manufactured and marketed by Alkem Laboratories Ltd. The capsules are sold in a package of 10 tablets per strip.
- Generic Medicine in The Capsules
- Dosage of The Capsule
- Working Mechanism of Amoxicillin
- Why is This Capsule Prescribed?
- Contraindications of This Medicine
- Possible Side Effects of This Medicine
- Precautions While Using These Capsules
- Using The Capsules During Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
- Can This Medicine be Given to Children and Infants?
- Where to Buy This Medicine?
- Patient Queries About The Medicine
Generic Medicine in The Capsules
Each Almox 500 mg capsule contains Amoxicillin as a generic medicine. As a penicillin antibiotic, Amoxicillin treats bacterial infections.
Dosage of The Capsule
The usual dosage of this capsule is 2 tablets per day. Always take this medicine in the dose exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow the directions on your medicine label. Never chew, crush or break it. Swallow it as a whole. Almox 500 can be taken with or without food, but preferably it should be taken at a fixed time.
Working Mechanism of Amoxicillin
Amoxicillin is a penicillin antibiotic that fights bacteria. Bacteria secrete Beta-lactamase to protect themselves from Amoxicillin. It prevents the production of the bacterial cell wall. Amoxicillin weakens and ruptures the cell wall of bacteria and kills it by preventing them from forming their own protective covering, which is required for bacteria’s to survive in the human body.
Why is This Capsule Prescribed?
Almox 500 mg capsules are used for the treatment of following diseases:
- Nose Infection (Sinusitis)
- Throat Infection (Tonsillitis)
- Ear Infection
- Skin Infection
- Lower Respiratory Tract Infection
- Urinary Tract Infection
- Typhoid fever
- Stomach Ulcers
- Dental Abscess
This drug may also be used for the conditions not listed here. Almox 500 mg is very effective for the conditions mentioned above. Please consult your doctor for correct diagnosis of the problem and the dosage of the medicine.
Contraindications of This Medicine
Amoxicillin is a derivative of penicillin, hence patients who are hypersensitive to penicillin can show sign of contraindications. In general, patients who have urticaria, asthma, and eczema are hypersensitive to amoxicillin.
Possible Side Effects of This Medicine
Almox 500 mg can cause following side-effects:
- Severe skin reaction
- Swollen gums
- Swelling of your face
- Burning in your eyes
- Skin Pain
- Painful mouth sores
- Vaginal discharge
- A headache
- Swollen or Black tongue
- Joint Pain
- Irritation and itching in vagina
- Dark colored urine
- Heavy Menstrual Bleeding
- Dizziness and tiredness
- Pain in stomach and indigestion
- Tooth discoloration
- Easy bruising
- Muscle weakness
- Nausea and vomiting
- Skin rash
- Swollen glands
- Troubled breathing
- Severe tingling
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Consult your doctor immediately for medical advice about side effects.
Precautions While Using These Capsules
- Inform your doctor about the conditions such as Asthma, Liver disease, Kidney disease and Mononucleosis.
- Take this medicine only if you are prescribed by a doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you have any food or drug allergies.
- Almox 500 should not be used if you are allergic to any penicillin antibiotic.
- Tell the doctor if you have a history of Diarrhea caused by taking antibiotics
- Before using Almox 500, inform your doctor about your current list of medications and current health conditions.
- Inform your Doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant during the treatment as Amoxicillin can make birth control pills less effective. So ask your doctor about using the non-hormonal birth control to prevent pregnancy while taking this medicine.
- While using Amoxicillin, frequent blood tests may be needed.
- Kidney and Liver function also need to be checked timely.
- The dose of Almox 500 should not be missed, as it may increase the risk of further infection, which is resistant to antibiotics.
- Never change your dose without your doctor’s advice.
- Do not crush or chew tablets.
- Always take this medicine at the same time, each day.
- Follow the directions written on your medicine label.
- Keep the tablets in the original pack until it is time to take them.
- Keep the pack in a cool dry place.
- Do not store medicine in the bathroom or near a sink.
- The expiry date printed on the pack has passed
- Avoid direct contact with sunlight.
- Always Keep the medicine away from the reach of children and pets.
- If the packaging is tampered or torn, then do not take this tablet.
- Do not refrigerate the tablets.
- Take this medicine only if you are prescribed by a doctor.
Using The Capsules During Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
This drug is classified by FDA as pregnancy category ‘B’. It is not expected to cause any harm to the fetus. Animal studies have failed to reveal any evidence to harm the fetus, however, there are no adequate and well-controlled data in human pregnancy. This medicine should be taken only when necessary but only after consulting your Doctor.
Almox 500 is safe to use during breastfeeding, as its use during breastfeeding is Considerable, but caution is recommended. Human studies have shown that either the drug does not pass into the breastmilk in a significant amount or is not expected to cause toxicity to the baby. Close monitoring of the infant is necessary while using this medicine. Always consult a doctor before taking this medicine.
Can This Medicine be Given to Children and Infants?
Yes, if prescribed by a qualified doctor, this medicine can be used for children and infants. Consult with a doctor regarding the frequency and the dosage of the drug.
Where to Buy This Medicine?
Almox 500 is not available as an over the counter or an OTC product. It is a prescription-only drug. It is advised to be prescribed by a qualified Doctor.
Patient Queries About The Medicine
What should be done in case of an overdose of Almox 500?
Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea, these all are the symptoms of an overdose of this medicine. Immediately rush to your nearest healthcare center or Doctor.
Can Almox 500 be used for virus infection?
No. It is only effective against bacterial infection and will not treat viral infections. Please consult your doctor before taking any antibiotics.
I have Flu, Can I take this Capsule?
No, it is not useful for the treatment of Flu. Please, Consult your doctor to know the correct medicine for the treatment.
Is Almox 500 safe for Heart patients?
Yes, it is safe for heart patients to use this medicine, but only if prescribed by your doctor.
Is it safe to use Almox 500 as a painkiller?
No, it is not a painkiller. It is an antibiotic.
Does Almox 500 cause drowsiness?
No, it has not been reported that this medicine may cause drowsiness. In case, if you experience any, please consult your doctor immediately.